Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Feed Me Books Friday: Books for Mom

The Prayers of Agnes Sparrow is the story of an unusual woman, Agnes Sparrow. No longer able or willing to leave her home, where she is cared for by her long-suffering sister Griselda, Agnes has committed her life to the one thing she can do besides eat. Agnes Sparrow prays and when Agnes prays things happen, including major miracles of the cancer, ulcer-healing variety along with various minor miracles not the least of which is the recovery of lost objects and a prize-winning pumpkin.  The rural residents of Bright's Pond are so enamored with Agnes they plan to have a sign erected on the interstate that reads, Welcome to Bright s Pond, Home of Agnes Sparrow. This is something Agnes doesn t want and sends Griselda to fight city hall. Griselda s petitions are shot down and the sign plans press forward until a stranger comes to town looking for his miracle from Agnes. After some tense days, everyone decides they all need to find their way back to the true source of the miracles -- God.





This story by Angie Smith is not unfamiliar to those of you blog readers like myself.  This is the story of Audrey Caroline.  I have just started this book, but so far it has not dissapointed me.  I was hesitant to read it because I already knew the story from reading her blog.  From Amazon -- "In 2008, Angie Smith and her husband Todd (lead singer of the group Selah) learned through ultrasound that their fourth daughter had conditions making her “incompatible with life.” Advised to terminate the pregnancy, the Smiths chose instead to carry this child and allow room for a miracle. That miracle came the day they met Audrey Caroline and got the chance to love her for the precious two-and-a-half hours she lived on earth.  Upon receiving the original diagnosis, Angie started a blog (Bring the Rain) to keep family and friends informed of their journey. Soon, the site exploded in popularity, connecting with thousands who were either experiencing their own heartbreaking situations or simply curious about how God could carry someone through something so tragic. I Will Carry You tells the powerful story of a parent losing her child, interwoven with the biblical story of Lazarus to help those who mourn to still have hope—to find grace and peace in the sacred dance of grief and joy.


I don't always take the time out to read for myself because it is hard to find those moments for yourself!  Laundry needs to be done, dishes put away, quality time with husband, etc.  However, I have found that I am so much happier when I can read and escape.  I have found that always keeping a book in my car works best for me.  I can always find 5-10 minutes in between appointments or stuck in traffic, or if someone stands me up for a visit, etc.  Reading calms me and helps me gain perspective.  What are you reading?


No comments: