Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Our New Life ... family of 4 (including Gus)

Well, it's official ... we are parents! Can you believe it? Lucky for Baby Sarah, we're actually getting the hang of things and life is getting a little bit easier each day.

Well, a week ago tomorrow, our daughter was born. Her name is Sarah Mae Crawley. She was born at 12:33 pm and weighed 7 pounds 2 ounces. She was delivered via C-Section because she was in the breech position.



The surgery went really well. We only had a minor scare with Sarah. The overall mood in the OR was relatively light and happy. They had managed to get most all of her out, but then the mood drastically changed. Her head was stuck. Another doctor rushed in to assist and they were able to get her out. She needed some extra oxygen and they worked on her a little extra, but she was fine. Initial Apgar score was 3 (very scary), but then the second score was a 9!! I recovered very quickly from the surgery. I was up moving about with minimal pain on the next day. Granted, I think I moved around a little too much because I was sore on Friday! Oh well ... I'll live!


The next few days are a bit of a blur. There was some concern with her left hip. She showed some signs of possible hip dysplasia, but they did an ultrasound and determined that it was ok. We will have another ultrasound on it in January, but for now it looks fine. The last day that we were there, they told us that she was looking jaundiced. Her bilirubin levels were a bit high so we had to make an appointment to go to the pediatrician on the next day and have it rechecked. It ended up that she was fine.

Life at home is interesting ... she sleeps great during the day, but not so much at night. She is eating well and the diapers are an experience! :) Gus is adjusting to a new life in the house. He is confused as to why his mom and dad are spending so much time with this little blob that just lays around all the time. He gets scared and protective when she cries. He will sometimes bark at us when we change her diaper because he is worried that we are hurting her. Dressing her is an experience. As many of you know, we have a ton of clothes for her ... however nothing really fits her! Since I had gestational diabetes, there was the concern that she would be bigger at birth. Well apparently I did an amazing job of controlling it :), because she is little! When we left the hospital, she was 6 lbs. 6 ounces. Even the "newborn" clothes are big on her! Oh well, she'll grow into them.

All in all, we are doing well. We appreciate all of the phone calls, texts, and emails. Sorry we don't respond to them all, but we have gotten them and are thankful for such wonderful friends. We would love for you to meet Sarah. Also, her pictures are on the Brookwood website if you want to see those (http://www.bwmc.com/CWS/VirtualNursery.aspx?URLid=4269635085). I've also attached a few more pictures from the past week.












No comments: